Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ferry Trip from Haines to Ketchikan...

1. This picture of Eldred Rock Lighthouse was taken between 4 and 5am. I've been in Alaska for almost 7 years and it is still hard for me to believe there is so much light so early in the morning. I also think the early morning light makes the most beautiful photos.
2. I saw a humpback whale surface while we were in the Frederick Sound... but I was too slow to get an entire picture. Just got its tail :)
3. You know you are approaching Petersburg when you see this famous landmark ... the Devil's Thumb.
4. Sentinel Island, AK .. This is just the sort of structure where I imagined the witch locked up Rapunzel. Can't you see her letting down her long, long hair...


5. Leaving Haines... at 4am (ish) instead of 3am. We'd been sitting at the Ferry Terminal waiting to load since 1:30am. It made for a very very long day!
6. Approaching Juneau, you can see the Mendenhall Glacier in the distance.
7. Kake is a very quaint fishing town.
8. Upon arriving into Ketchikan, all I could think was.. Holy, Cow! I'm in for another mild winter! However, that has not been the case since I've been here. There has been just as much sunshine as there has been rain! I'm still wondering where is all that famous rain I've heard so much about! Not trying to jinx myself, just genuine curiousity!

7 comments:

cinnibonbon said...

Ahhhhh these photos are awesome. It is such a beautiful natural place. looks very peaceful too!! I've never been...but who knows maybe someday!!

Hey how did you group the photos like that? I dig the look. I'd like to give it a try.

PS...how goes the house set-up? You almost done? Have you've had time for a rest? Take it easy girl.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to make the trip. My husband lived in Haines for years. Our friend owns one of the ferries now. Did you do any river stuff.

lisaknits said...

It is so dreamy..like a fairy tale world...All blue water and crisp white peaks..LOVE it!!!! Thanks for my mini vacaY!!hehe

ChaChaneen said...

Great photos and I lurve how you get them in the groupings like that. It's like looking at a postcard! Hope your having a great week!

alittlebitofscrap said...

The photo groupings are collages using picnik :) My new fav photo editing place.

Di said...

Wow - the photos are spectacular as is the scenery! Just how I would imagine coastal Alaska to be! thank you for sharing!

Wanda said...

Absolutely gorgeous!