Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wedding Story...

Every wedding starts with a proposal and I think mine was different than most. Hal had left Keesler AFB and had went back to his home station in California... I was working in McRae's shoe store at the Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS at the time and was at work on the anniversary of our first date, December 1st. When I got to work there was this beautiful bouquet of red roses.. and of course I was curious, I kept asking everyone... "who are the flowers for?" Either they avoided me acting to busy to answer or I just didn't get an answer and I was trying not to be too nosey. Finally, I asked again and my co-worker said ... "well, if you want to know that bad, why don't you read the card!" And I was like really, isn't that private? So I took the card and it was for me! The card said, "When you've got a minute, call me." It was from my sweetie! I couldn't believe it. So, I call him right away and he said all those mushy things like Happy Anniversary, I love you, then he said... Do you think your Mom would be able to come to California on the 13th of Jan? and I was like... why? and then he said, "Will you marry me?" I was a bit shocked! See we had planned to move in together for a little while before marriage. I was going to move to CA, get a job, go to college, get my degree, then we'd get married if we wanted to.. That was the plan. Well, obviously I said yes! But after I said yes... I was like why Jan 13th? He said it was the first date that popped into his head. We changed it to Jan 12th (a Saturday vs a Sunday).

Now the other unusual thing about this wedding was.. I didn't plan any of it. Hal planned the whole thing from CA. He got the Honor Guard, the chapel at Travis AFB in Fairfield, CA, the reception hall at a very nice Marriott, the hotel in San Fran for our wedding night and he made reservations for our guest to stay at a base turned into a hotel and housing. I told him what my fav flowers were, he picked them out, I told him what my fav cake flavors were, he ordered it, he got an organ player for the music and also a wedding coordinator (required by the base) to help with decorating the chapel and the clean up afterwards. He did it all. All I did was show up with a dress! And to me, it was the perfect wedding! We had 22 guest. They were all family, including my mom and one sister (my bridesmaid who was in the AF at the time too). It was all very sweet. Except the part where the guardsman smacked my butt with a sword and said, "Welcome to the United States Air Force ma'am!" We hadn't rehearsed that part and I didn't know it was coming. Even then I will stick with my original opinion... It was perfect!

I would normally add pictures, but as I'm at work and forgot to bring them with me... I will post some pics when I get home tonight. I look forward to crashing on your wedding :)

11 comments:

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What fun wedding memories! Keep that hubby ! My goodness, he planned it all?!?!

Mine will be posted later on today, so please come check them out.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Jan said...

That's a great story. Most brides are so busy micro-managing everything about the event, they're unable to relax. Good for you. I think you'll make it for the long run.

Karen said...

That has got to be the most romantic story I've read so far. I love he planned it all.
I'll be back looking for photos!

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a stress-free wedding for sure! I think back to all the planning and organizing I did! I had fun though and my hubby did plan some with me! You sure have a keeper to make y'all's day so special. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story!

Hugs and Blessings,
Rebecca

Heather said...

LMAO!!! They smacked you with what??

What a great story!!! Thanks for sharing it! he planned it all himself?? What a guy!!
Hugs,
Heather

MJ said...

Wow. Just showed up with a dress. I am envious. Lucky girl!

3rdEyeMuse said...

what a great story & an awesome groom! I hope you do get those pictures up - I bet he looks dashing in his uniform & can't wait to see your dress. :)

Kimberly Scott said...

AWEsome story...thanks for sharing missy!

cinnibonbon said...

wow..what a wonderful story!! Your hubby rocks!!
I would love to see some pictures...

All is well on my end...just chugging along
Take it easy girl.

Janet said...

What a great story! Both my ex-husbands were in the Air Force...I miss that way of life!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that story brough tears to my eyes. I think it's very sweet that he planned it all.