We were invited to take part in a potluck at a local restaurant, Alaska Fish House, featuring dishes inspired by Julia Child. I chose to make Potage Parmentier (potato & leek soup). "Simplicity itself." I wanted to make it because it was the first recipe made by Julie Powell in the first chapter of her book, Julie & Julia. It was a success and a whole lot of fun!
I was so disappointed when I found out that the movie Julie & Julia was not showing when the rest of the world would get to see it. I had no hopes that it would even get to Ketchikan. IT DID!! and it was a wonderful movie! Just as I suspected it would be. After having read the the blog, Julie&Julia, the book and My Life in France by Julia Child, I do feel the movie left out a few things like how and why she started the blog and they didn't include the very first thing she made from the book. Apart from what they didn't include, I do love how Julia Child's life was incorporated. Overall a very fun and delightful movie :)
So if you haven't seen, GO! and then cook the Potato & Leek soup. It is divine :)
Straight from Julia's Kitchen Wisdom.
Leek and Potato Soup
for about 2 quarts, serving 6
3 cups sliced leeks (white and tender green parts)
3 cups peeled and roughly chopped "baking" potatoes
6 cups water (I used 4 cups chicken stock & 2 cups water)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
Bring ingredients to the boil in a 3-quart saucepan. cover partially and simmer 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Correct seasoning. Serve as is, or puree (I served as is), and/or top each portion with a dollop of the cream (which I did not).
I also boiled 2 more potatoes, mashed them and added them to thicken, as I like soups a bit thicker. It was still soup like :)
Enjoy!
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I lurve leek soup! Yummy! I know what you mean about movies but I don't get to the theatre simply because of expense so we have the least expensive plan with Netflix and we love it. Also most movies are on Youtube now so I'll watch them there too on my lunch break using my phone. I'm a movie junkie! Ha ha can't wait for Julie/Julia movie, looks like a keeper.
Oh!!! I'm sooo happy for you! Thanks for the nudge....I still haven't seen it :( I HAVE to!!! And I WILL make the soup too!!!
Oh.....and be sure to check my blog tomorrow....I linked up to you :)
It feels like leek and potato soup weather! I made it also this weekend, but I used mushrooms as well and a bit of milk instead of sour cream. I blended it all and then sauteed some potatoes and mushrooms in butter, s&p, garlic powder and a teeny bit of wine and added to soup for chunks. Finally, I added toasted walnuts upon serving. Yum.
Can't wait to see the movie!
trying to find your email...anyway, the scone recipe should be on the blog with a link to allrecipes.com (simple scones) and the quilts were made by BFF and my mom. The kind of look thrifted, though, with now much they have been loved:)
mmmm the soup sounds nice! Must check out that Julie/Julia book too (before I see the movie preferably, I know if I see the movie first I will never read the book)
I am just waiting to see Julie/Julia! Glad to read another positive review! I'm also emailing the soup recipe to me! (But I think I'll follow Cat's advice about the wine ~ seems everything I make with wine tastes scrumptious!)
Post a Comment