Monday, February 9, 2009

Alaskan Fiber Hounds Yarn Crawl...

I've joined a Ravelry group called Alaskan Knitters and we decided to do a yarn crawl Saturday. The day started out at Pandemonium Booksellers and Cafe in Wasilla. I wish I had had my camera. The view from that place is stunning! Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful! The store is nice and cozy with a nice but small assortment of books. What they do have is a rather large children's book section and great coffee :) Also, they don't mind that we come in and knit! So we ordered coffee and sat down at a table, introduced ourselves (first time meeting each other) and knitted for a bit and waited for Ewe First to open its doors.

Ewe First is a nice open airy store with plenty of room to move around. It had a nice selection of yarn, notions, books, and accessories. I liked the Namaste bags, reasonably priced and very pretty. I didn't buy any yarn there, but I did find a magazine, I'd been wanting...

Our next stop was to Fantastic Fibers in Palmer. This place was sensory overload for me. There is a lot to see and touch (and smell). All the walls are covered. I did find some beautiful yarn for a new pair of socks. It is so soft and I love the mixture of the greens & brown. Also, in one room, was clearance yarn... I'm thinking about making some mittens or fingerless gloves with this.


Our Next stop was to The Tangled Skein in Eagle River. It is a small shop, but very well stocked. I found some gorgeous buttons! Buttons are so hard to find here, especially unique ones. I definitely scored! I also bought this issue of VOUGUEknitting. Love it! I've got so many projects planned in my head. It will be a challenge to actually get them all finished. A girl can dream :)


The next stop was Far North Yarn Co. I love that store. There is such a family friendly vibe there. They have just moved things around and it seems to have a nice flow/energy. I like the areas they have set up for just knitting.

Next was Yarn Branch... It is an excellent place to get fabrics. Honestly, I could get more distracted by their fabric selection than the yarns. Although, they did have the nicest cashmere there I'd ever seen.


Our last stop was Knitting Grounds, which is a very unique store in itself. The owner, Zaynab, was wearing the most beautiful felted scarf. I really want to take a class and learn how to do that :) I bought the above yarn there and some more knitscene magazines. When I saw this yarn, I immediately knew I had to buy it. I think I will make a scarf with it. This store also carried a lot of local artist, for example the yarn above was made locally and the button I bought there was made by someone in Anchorage too. I think it is a good thing to support local entrepreneurs and invest in the community in which you live.

We enjoyed ourselves so much, we are planning on another Yarn Crawl in June. Fun, Fun, Fun.
These are the kind of things that keep you sane during the winter months. :)

9 comments:

ChaChaneen said...

Oh I'm so jealous, I'd love to live your in town today! What a fun time you had shopping around! All that eye candy! Sigh..

Saucy said...

A Yarn Crawl sounds divine!! Once again you make me wish I could knit.

zakkalife said...

wow, you've got a lot of yarn shops where you live. I don't think I could do a yarn crawl as much as I would enjoy it, I'd spend to much money. :)

Karen Travels said...

That sounds like crazy fun! I really need to get some yarn so we can get together and I can knit a scarf before I do not need a scarf anymore!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a nice time!

The Other Side of Me said...

Lisa,

What an absolutely fun day! I love getting together with ladies of like minds and interests. I can't wait to see what you make with the pretty yarns you bought. You are so talented!
Tammy

MJ said...

Hee hee! I envisioned a Hansel/Grettel crawl but instead of breadcrumbs, yarn followed your crawl. Too visual for me! Hee hee!

Sounds like a lovely way to spend a day, particularly as a knitter like you! I look forward to seeing your projects!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen this before! I missed it. But I'm definitely in for the next one. In fact, I may steal your idea and host one in May or April. Get my knitting friend's into it and then join the groups together? Looks like you had SO much fun!

Tam said...

I am in awe of knitters. I can not crochet or cross stitch...I fail miserably at all those things. I think the book store sounds so cozy that I wish we had one...we do have all the major chain ones!