Monday, February 4, 2008

OVERLOOKED SUBJECT TWO

When did this collection began... probably from the first time I met my dearly beloved. He had a cigar box sitting on a night stand with stuff in it and I admired the box and he gave it to me. I still have it with jewelry stuff in it. He had a few more when we were married, but the collection didn't really get serious until recently, late last year. DH appreciates a good cigar every once in a while and has access to some really nice boxes. I saw this one box, Romeo y Juliet, that was so pretty... I asked him if would bring me one home.. little did I know he'd bring home lots to choose from and I kept most of them. They smell good on the inside too. They feel like little pieces of art to me. I like the art work, the labels, the wood.. I can just imagine me doing something creative with them one of these days. Currently I'm using them for props. I think they are decorative and yet practical. I have one filled with buttons in my scrappy space. And since the collection doesn't take up very much space and they are so pretty and useful, we will probably have this collection for years to come.

A few facts about my boxes:

~ I like the Romeo y Juliet ones the best.
~ I don't care for the velvet or the graphic more modern looking ones.
~ Sometimes they are free, sometime $1-$2.
~ DH really enjoys getting them for me almost as much as I like to receive them.


12 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE cigar boxes!!! I have a few that I keep momento's in on a top shelf of the closet. That Romeo Juliet one is fab!! It's definetly a keeper!!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizz said...

I'm always tempted to buy an empty box or 2 when I'm at the cigar shop with DH! LOL
I love the Romeo y Juliet ones too!

Michelle said...

wow..cool collection!! I love all of those boxes!! =)

FauveDesign said...

wow,luv luv luv them!!

Edleen said...

oh my gosh!!! i love cigar boxes!!! i used to work with them too :D might have to go dig mine out!

great collection there!

Jules said...

Cigar boxes, they are so prety I love the ones my Opa has given me. I believe I stored stamps in them at one time :)

Gillian Ottaway said...

Great collection photos! And your overlooked book is AWESOME! Super inspiring, I might have to do one up myself :)

Anonymous said...

Hi ! Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog!I love cigar boxes , too!! lol
Mel

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

Cool collection! I have stalled on the overlooked challenge, but I love reading about it. You have done an awesome job with it :)

Sandra said...

I love this collection, I have a few treasured boxes that I have had for years but no cigar boxes.
It is a great idea starting an 'overlooked album'.
Sandra
http://mollyandcoffee.com

MJ said...

I have never thought of collecting cigar boxes ~ but then, neither dh or me smoke cigars so I haven't really ever looked at them! What a unique idea & you are using them (unlike the empty boxes of diapers in my basement laundry ~ heehee!)

What a great idea! I look forward seeing your completed page!