Saturday, August 8, 2009

YUM!

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT ! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).


Hal received this recipe in an email from a co-worker and we decided to try it tonight. It looks pretty and It was good. I think a bit dry, so next time I might cook it for 2 1/2 minutes instead of the recommended 3 minutes. I did exchange Splenda for the sugar (probably would have used Truvia if I had it on hand).
There are endless possibilities with this itty bitty recipe. I also think you could use bowls instead of coffee mugs if you like. Next time I'm thinking a raspberry sauce... Yummy! This would be super easy for a quick desert for a dinner party!

What ya think? Gonna try it? If you do, please let me know and how you changed it. It would be super fun to make with the kiddos :)



13 comments:

avelinux said...

What a yummy cake! I love all your photos on flickr. Best wishes from Germany
Eva

Heather said...

Ummm...does a zebra have stripes...of course I am going to try it! I never refuse to try a recipe with the 5th food group (chocolate) in it!! LOL

akfnp said...

I am visiting a girlfriend in Seward and we made this last evening after finding your post.... YUM what a splendid 11pm snack to go with our fine glasses of cabernet! Have you ever had Emeril's Mississippi mud cake? Im going to try adding a tablespoon of whiskey to this to see if I can emulate Emeril in this 5 minute gem. Thanks- and your right, this will be great with my kiddo, sans whiskey, of course!

alittlebitofscrap said...

I've never tried Emeril's MS Mud Cake, gonna have to google it :)

the treat girl said...

I've seen this a few times and haven't tried it yet...but you may have pushed me over the edges!!! Thanks :)

alittlebitofscrap said...

Don't hurt yourself treat girl, LOL! :)

ChaChaneen said...

Hi my friend! I have blogged about this recipe too, isn't it the best. I've found the wider the cup the more it is but the tall skinny mugs come out moist. You may high a very high voltage microwave too, just experiment. When I dint have anything for the kids this is a keeper because I cut it in half and serve it to them with ice cream and choco syrup and it's a hit!

cinnibonbon said...

What-- in a mug?

Ummmm this will be perfect for this winter--- yoww I can't wait for 1 day of snow--yes-- I said one, just one..LOL-- so I can enjoy this treat with some hot choco.

ChaChaneen said...

They were a hostess gift I received back in February from a tea party I had. My friend Jenifer made them for me. Aren't they the cutest! I told her she could always give me these for any reason.... My birthday or whatever day... Ha ha. She said she used her cake decorating supplies to make them.

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

YUM!! It looks really cool and makes me want to try it.

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

It looks great, but I don't have a microwave so I can't try this recipe! :/

lisaknits said...

YUM!! I have been buying the little microwave cakes mixes..this is cheaper, better for the environment and prob tastes better too!

lisaknits said...

Lisa..I just made the cake!! I failed to notice that ONE LARGE mug was required! OOPS! It rose up and out but dangled for dear life on the side of my LITTLE mug!! Next time I will make it in two mugs and share!! YUMMY!!