Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Handmade Christmas con't ...


Knitted Wash Cloth

Size 8US (5mm) knitting needles
Lily Cotton yarn

Cast on 4 stitches
row 1: Knit across
row 2: K2 YO K to end (increasing)
Continue row 2 until you have 45 stitches (to make bigger increase by multiples of 5, I like 55).

Next row after you've reached 45 st: K1 K2tog K to end (decreasing)
Continue decreasing until you have 4 st, K2tog, K2tog

Weave in your ends.
And ... you have a completed wash cloth.

This wash cloth makes an excellent Christmas gift, especially when you do them in colors to match the giftee's kitchen. (This one was made from scrap yarn from another gift). Enjoy!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Very nice! I tried crocheting some of these things and stopped. I started wondering how well they would soak stuff up. Have you ever used any in your kitchen? You'll have to let me know. For now they are in my UFO stash!!

glo.riah said...

i am loving orange lately!!
great gift idea.

Debbi said...

Hmmm. Never thought about a knitted wash cloth. I too wonder how well it works. Let us know.

alittlebitofscrap said...

They work really good. They are little grabbers and pick up lots, very good for cleaning the kitchen or anything else really. I actually get request for these little guys so I know they must work pretty good.

When giving as a gift, I usually make 3 and put them with serving utensils, because who has enough serving spoons or bamboo cooking spoons? Not me, for sure ;)

Karen Travels said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog!! I really want to move to Anchorage or up in Palmer or Wasilla or Eagle River. Where ever I find a teaching job!

Tina said...

my grandmother taught me how to make those....they come in handy!

jadadog said...

Too bad you don't live closer! I need lessons!!! I am just starting to learn how to knit!!! You are a pro! My mom makes these and I LOVE them!!! TFS!

milkcan said...

Love the orange, though I don't know if I'd be able to use it as a washcloth! Too pretty!

Silvitanova said...

Pretty! Respect for the knitting :)

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

Where are you?? I miss your posts!
love-cat